Edition: International | Greek
MENU

Home » World

EU voices concern over UN Syria aid plan

The EU on Sunday (12 June) voiced “deep concern” at a UN move to close an access point for humanitarian aid to war-torn Syria

By: EBR - Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020

“The unconstructive approach of certain members of the Security Council is all the more regrettable at a time when needs have never been greater and in the context of the coronavirus pandemic.”
“The unconstructive approach of certain members of the Security Council is all the more regrettable at a time when needs have never been greater and in the context of the coronavirus pandemic.”

The UN Security Council passed a resolution Saturday to restart cross-border aid to Syria – but only after caving to Russian pressure to stop access through the Bab al-Salam crossing, which leads to the Aleppo region in northern Syria.

EU diplomatic chief Josep Borrell and Crisis Management Commissioner Janez Lenarcic said that authorising only one crossing would hamper the delivery of aid.

“It is a matter of deep concern that the resolution adopted after repeated vetoes by Russia and China authorises only one crossing point out of the two previously available to the UN,” Borrell and Lenarcic said in a joint statement.

“The unconstructive approach of certain members of the Security Council is all the more regrettable at a time when needs have never been greater and in the context of the coronavirus pandemic.”

Authorisation for the continued transport of aid to Syria, a system in place since 2014, expired on Friday night after Moscow and Beijing used their veto power and the Council then rejected a counterproposal from Russia.

With the approval of the German-Belgian proposal on Saturday, the Bab al-Hawa crossing point on Syria’s northwestern border with Turkey will be maintained for a year, until July 10, 2021.

Russia – Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s key ally – and China argue that the UN authorisation, allowing aid to be distributed without permission from Damascus, is a violation of its sovereignty.

*first published in: www.euractiv.com

READ ALSO

EU Actually

Does Vestager overplay her hand again?

N. Peter KramerBy: N. Peter Kramer

The EU General Court overturned the landmark 2016 decision by EU competition commissioner Margrethe Vestager that Ireland should claw back €13 billion in unpaid taxes plus interest from Apple

View 01/2020 2020 Digital edition

Magazine

Current Issue

01/2020 2020

View past issues
Subscribe
Advertise
Digital edition

Europe

Strategic gas interconnector Greece-Bulgaria on bumpy road

Strategic gas interconnector Greece-Bulgaria on bumpy road

The construction of a strategic EU-supported pipeline which is expected to break the monopoly of Russian gas on the Bulgarian market has hit a snag

Business

Why COVID-19 makes inclusion a strategic imperative for business

Why COVID-19 makes inclusion a strategic imperative for business

To quote Singapore’s senior minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam from his national address last month: “The future begins now”

MARKET INDICES

Powered by Investing.com
All contents © Copyright EMG Strategic Consulting Ltd. 1997-2020. All Rights Reserved   |   Home Page  |   Disclaimer  |   Website by Theratron